For many students, exams and midterms are fast approaching. This article will give you 23 short tips on making sure you are ready and prepared for anything your teacher or professor throws at you during exam time.
1. Always start preparing early
2. Make sure your notes are up to date
3. It is best to always stay organized
4. Never ever miss any classes!
5. If you did miss any classes, avoid falling behind. Find a friend who is willing to share his/her notes with you.
6. Develop a study routine
7. Create a well thought-out timetable and try to stick with it.
8. Don’t overwhelm yourself studying. Take regular breaks
9. Find out the best time for you to study – is it during the day or night?
10. Find a location that helps you study and stay focused
11. Apply mnemonic rules, which is associating new concepts with concepts you already know well.
12. Always have a positive attitude toward your schoolwork
13. Try to maintain a healthy frame of mind going into an exam or midterm.
14. While some procrastination is normal, try to avoid procrastination when it starts to affect your study schedule.
15. If you have a study group, make sure the time spent together is actually on studying!
16. Make the most of your syllabus. It gives you great insight into what your teacher/instructor wants you to learn.
17. If using a computer, make sure the screen is neither too bright nor too dark, otherwise your eyes may get tired too quickly.
18. Make sure you understand a topic before moving on. Often, topics can be cumulative and then it becomes easy to fall behind.
19. A few days before an exam or midterm, ask your teacher/instructor as many questions as you have. You might be surprised at the ‘hints’ they may give about what will be on the exam or midterm.
20. Avoid ‘all-nighters’, you will most likely just be tired the next day and find it difficult to focus.
21. The week before your exam or midterm should be reserved for light reading/studying.
22. Do not cram right before an exam – your brain is likely to forget and/or get confused during the exam.
23. Finally, stay confident during your exam or midterm. By staying confident, you will avoid going into panic mode, especially when you know the material so well!
Share your own tips below and happy studying!!